In Deep Sheet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is going on in Eastpoint Florida and Apalachicola Bay. Every voice counts.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Serial Advanced Driver Updater 2013
Eastpoint Library greatful for funds EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 11:51 pm by amybcreat

» Auto Keyboard 9 Crack
Eastpoint Library greatful for funds EmptyTue Feb 18, 2014 2:43 pm by amybcreat

» Modul 8 Crack Working Syphon
Eastpoint Library greatful for funds EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 7:43 am by amybcreat

» BP stuff check this out
Eastpoint Library greatful for funds EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 2:04 pm by Admin

» X it why you need ten letters here...
Eastpoint Library greatful for funds EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 6:54 pm by lightwalker

» Wow so how many enviromental hazzards are there at your door?
Eastpoint Library greatful for funds EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 12:44 am by Admin

» This I have never seen b4 cool video
Eastpoint Library greatful for funds EmptySun Jan 16, 2011 12:29 am by Admin

» Can sound waves heal?
Eastpoint Library greatful for funds EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 9:58 pm by Admin

» 1 of many ..............................
Eastpoint Library greatful for funds EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 8:13 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

Eastpoint Library greatful for funds

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Eastpoint Library greatful for funds Empty
PostSubject: Eastpoint Library greatful for funds   Eastpoint Library greatful for funds EmptyTue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 pm

Eastpoint library grateful for federal help
December 21, 2010 1:11 PM
By David Adlerstein
A ceremony Dec. 16 to commemorate federal stimulus funding for the new Eastpoint library got a heartwarming and practical reminder of what lies at the heart of the institution.

Just as the ceremony was ending, in which representatives of the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Rural Development arm presented a plaque to library officials, a man in the audience stepped forward to say just how much the liberty has meant to him.

“I just wanted to say thank you,” said Leroy Cox, who now lives in Eastpoint. “If there was no library, I wouldn’t have no computer skills.”

Cox said he was an inmate at the county jail when he took a work assignment on a crew that helped pave his way back to gainful employment. “Y’all helped me get a trade,” he said. “I don’t know how to thank you all except to be a success.”

Cox, who held a manila envelope as he spoke, said he worked with library staffer Anne Birchwell to master the computer. In the envelope was a letter of acceptance from the Southwest School of Bible Studies in Austin, Texas, which Cox is planning to attend. He presently attends Eastpoint’s Church of Christ.

“You stick with your calling, “said County Commissioner Pinki Jackel, who had earlier spoken as part of the brief ceremony. “We’ll support you. We want you to become successful.”

The presentation, marking the end of years of fundraising and stalled construction, came about thanks to a $177,850 Rural Development community facilities loan and $200,000 grant, funded through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, commonly known as the federal stimulus package.

Rural Development State Director Richard A. Machek officials presented Joyce Estes, president of the Friends of Franklin County Public Library, a plaque commemorating the USDA funding she secured.

“I just wish whatever presentation we’re getting had a red bow on it,” she said. “It’s an awesome, awesome Christmas present.”

The grant/loan combo ensures the library will have a permanent 5,000 sq. ft. facility to replace the cramped space it now leases at the Point Mall.

“It will be nice to walk through the library without saying ‘Excuse me.’ There’ll be adequate space,” said County Librarian Glenda Ondracek.

Jackel praised Estes for her dedication to the project, which began in 2008 with initial construction of a metal structure on a 13- acre tract on Hickory Dip Road. But, due to the economic downturn, construction was halted.

Earlier this year, the USDA approved funding to complete the library, which included finishing the interior electric and plumbing and exterior grading, paving, and landscaping.

“A project like this doesn’t just happen,” said Jackel. “It begins with a dream. I appreciate people who have a vision for something, while others say ‘This is impossible.’”

Also on hand was Lynn Bannister, representing Florida Senator Bill Nelson; Joe Fritz, USDA’s area director; and a host of USDA and local library staffers.

“We are all in it with you,” said Fritz. “We fight for funds and compete with the rest of Florida. We got as much as we possibly could in terms of loan and grant.”

Machek said the library’s timing was fortunate, since funds are extremely tight this year. “This year we have no funds, so you hit it at the right time. You would not get this project this year. I like it when the little guy wins; Eastpoint is on the map now.

“Public libraries play a fundamental role in the literacy and education of a community,” said Machek. “And thanks to the perseverance of the Friends of Franklin County Public Library, folks in Eastpoint and the surrounding communities will have a new, modern facility to access books, the Internet, and cultural activities.”

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 is designed to jumpstart the nation’s economy by creating or saving jobs. The Act includes measures to modernize the nation’s infrastructure, enhance energy independence, expand educational opportunities, preserve and improve affordable health care, provide tax relief, and protect those in greatest need.

USDA Rural Development Community Facility Loans and Grants provide funding to develop essential community facilities in rural areas and town with a population less than 20,000 for construction, enlargement and improvement for health care, public safety and public services. USDA Rural Development is committed to the future of rural communities and provides financing and technical assistance to foster growth in homeownership, business development, and critical community and technology infrastructure. More information about USDA Rural Development can be found at www.rurdev.usda.gov/fl

Article here
Back to top Go down
https://indeepsheet.board-directory.net

Eastpoint Library greatful for funds
Page 1 of 1